What is Antonyms?
The word Antonym means a word or a phrase that is opposite in sense of meaning quality and idea of another word. It came from a Greek word called “antōnymía“.
A word is based on idea and our common perception of that idea, signifying its quality, and by taking together idea and quality it gives a meaning to it.
“Good” – “Evil”
Here “Good” means quality of being desired or approved, based on our perceptions and understanding of language, while word “Evil” means quality which is not desirable.
“Antonyms” means opposite idea and qualities in form of a “Word”. Thus Antonyms are opposite words.
Some common Antonyms with examples
“Word” – “Antonym”
“Brittle Strong” – “Tough”
- Modern relationships are generally brittle .
- Cook is a tough guy.
“Bustle” – “Slowness”
- The exhibition bustled with creative activities.
- The slowness of vessels of Evergreen shipping company caused them financial losses.
“Benevolent” – “Malevolent”
- We should always be benevolent towards peoples and animals.
- The black hat hacker’s main aim is to inflict malevolent harm to other’s systems.
“Guile” – “Honesty”
- The rich man used his money and guile to get out of prison.
- Honesty is the best policy.
- It helps in making communication efficient and effective.
- Reduces passive sentence formation and ambiguity.
- Provides more clarity in texts and makes it more comprehensible.
- Makes proofreading of texts easy.
- It sharpens your overall sense of a language.
- It helps in learning new words thus it also helps in expanding your overall vocabulary.
EXERCISE: Q AND A
Choose the best Antonym for each word